Department of Studio Arts introductory-level courses carry no prerequisites and are open to non-art majors.
If you are not interested in pursuing a major in Studio Arts but would like to explore the basics of design, painting, sculpture, and drawing, you may want to consider a minor in Studio Arts. For those curious about art practice, the Department encourages you to consider one of its courses as a way to fulfill the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences general education requirements.
Effective Spring 2017, all courses that count toward the minor must be taken for a letter grade.
Students can complete the minor in Studio Arts with 15 credits through a variety of options:
Option 1: Complete five introductory-level SA courses
Option 2: Complete four introductory-level SA courses and one HAA course
Option 3: Complete four introductory-level and one 1200-level SA courses
Option 4: Complete three introductory-level and one 1200-level SA courses and one HAA course
Option 5: Complete three introductory-level SA courses, one 1200-level and one 1300-level SA courses sequenced within the same media
Required introductory-level Studio Arts courses for all Studio Arts minor options:
Additional introductory-level Studio Arts courses:
1200-level Studio Arts courses (prerequisites are noted):
- SA 1220 Painting Studio 2 (prerequisites: 0120, 0130)
- SA 1230 Drawing Studio 2 (prerequisites: 0110, 0130)
- SA 1240 Sculpture Studio 2 (prerequisites: 0110, 0140)
- SA 1260 Print Studio: Intaglio (prerequisites: 0110, 0130)
- SA 1270 Digital Studio: Imaging (prerequisites: 0110, 0180)
1300-level Studio Arts courses (prerequisites are noted):
- SA 1320 Painting Studio: Projects (prerequisite: 1220)
- SA 1330 Drawing Studio: Projects (prerequisite: 1230)
- SA 1340 Sculpture Studio: Projects (prerequisite: 1240)
- SA 1345 Sculpture Studio: Installation (prerequisite: 1240)
- SA 1365 Print Studio: Screenprint (prerequisites: 0110, 0120, 0130)
- SA 1380 Digital Studio: Video (prerequisites: 0110, 0180)